What is Radon?
Radon is a radioactive gas that causes cancer.
Radon is a naturally occurring radioactive gas that you can’t see, feel, smell or taste, but can be present in any home all throughout the U.S. Radon is responsible for thousands of deaths each year and is the number 1 leading cause of lung cancer in the U.S. for people that don’t smoke.
Radon can be found in all places across the U.S. and around the wold.
Radon gas comes from the natural radioactive decay of uranium found in soil, rock and water and get into the air we breath. Dangerous levels of radon gas can be found in all building and construction types - residential homes, commercial buildings, offices, schools - and testing is the only way to know if radon is present in any structure. Your own home is the most important place to test for radon gas. Since you and your family spend the most time inside your home compared to any other structure.
Test your home for radon gas.
You and your family could be at risk for developing lung cancer and not even know it. Radon gas is a real “silent killer” and should be taken very seriously. Testing is easy and inexpensive, the Surgeon General and the EPA recommends that everyone tests their home for radon.
A radon problem can be fixed.
There’s simple and effective ways to fix radon problems that are also inexpensive. Even extremely high levels of radon gas can be reduced to acceptable levels.
New construction homes and buildings can be built with radon-resistant features.
New radon-resistant construction techniques can be built into any new structure. When these systems are installed correctly they can be very effective at reducing elevated radon levels. When passive methods installed during the time of construction don’t reduce elevated radon levels the process of reducing radon levels further become much easier and less expensive. Every home with a passive reduction system should be tested for radon gas after occupancy. A home that has a passive radon-reduction system can still have dangerously high levels of radon.
WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT RADON
THE BASICS OF RADON AND WHY IT IS CONSIDERED THE SILENT KILLER
What is radon exactly?
Radon is a radioactive element that is naturally occurring in our environment. The presence of radon gas can go unnoticed for years because it can’t be seen and has no odor, the only way to detect radon gas is to test for it.
How can radon gas be the number one leading cause of lung cancer for none smoker?
The answer is, because radon gas is radioactive. Radon is produced from the decay and natural radioactive breakdown of Uranium.
Radon is found in all 50 states as well as all over the world. The decay of Uranium can exist in the soil, rocks, and even water. Radon is an element in the periodic table and is chemically inert by nature, which means it’s unstable and breaking down. When radon breaks down it undergoes many chemical changes and in time emits radiation in the form of decay products from alpha, beta, and gamma particles. The decay products released during this inevitable break down are harmful radiation. This type of radiation emits alpha and beta particles along with gamma rays much like the radiation given off by x-rays in a hospital. Since Radon is continuously breaking down it’s always permeating its way up to the earths surface, finding it’s way into homes throughout the state of Michigan undetected.
Radon gas is a major problem because the gas is easily drawn into homes and structures that are in direct contact with the earths surface. Structures such as houses have a pressure based on being a closed environment along with the fact many houses have basements. This pressure in houses and buildings exists whether we can sense it or not and draws this radioactive gas inside like a magnet.
The only way elevated levels of radon wouldn’t be present inside a structure that is in direct contact with earth, is if there wasn’t uranium breaking down underneath or around the structure. Since this radioactive gas is not visible and has no odor it has no problem finding it’s way into homes, commercial buildings, churches, and even schools without detection. When this gas is present and accumulates in high enough percentages it can be extremely harmful. Radon gas effects our lungs and causes lung cancer.
PEOPLE SPEND A SIGNIFICANT AMOUNT OF THEIR LIFE INDOORS SO IT’S ESSENTIAL TO TEST FOR RADON.
There is no way to know if a house or any other structure is safe from dangerous levels of radon gas, a test must be conducted to know. The EPA recommends taking action to mitigate a home when the indoor levels are at 4pCi/L or higher.
The United States Environmental protection agency says that any exposure to radon involves some risk. Homeowners can lessen their exposure to radon and decrease their chances of getting lung cancer when they choose to mitigate a home that tests under 4. Here at Schultz Services we also aim at bring elevated radon levels down to at least 2pCi/L.
Radon is measured in picocuries, which is described as pCi/l when looking at how much radiation there is from the decay of radon. Radiation from radon is often times measured in working level (WL) which is the measurement of how much radiation is produced from the decay products rather than from radon. There isn’t such thing as “no radon” because there is always some amount present in natural outside air, which is 0.4 pCi/L on average and sometimes higher in certain areas.